Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
About two months ago my fiancée got a 1985 Honda rebel. I got extremely lucky the gas tank had been Kreemed. However the carburetor was in pretty bad shape I ended up having to boil the carburetor in lemon juice and run it through several passes on the ultrasonic cleaner to get it clean again and actually wasn’t all that hard with the exception of the Excelerator pump that thing was clogged to all hell.

Anyways I put new seats on it (eBay $63 shipped) it could use a paint job but so far I put over 250 miles on it in the last two weeks with absolutely no problems whatsoever I’ve had to adjust the clutch but that’s not a big deal. The bike is surprisingly comfortable it will max out the speedometer on the highway takes a minute to get above 65 or 70 miles an hour but it always fire right up

It’s been getting about 68 miles to the gallon.

One of the odd things that I noticed, is that at about 70 miles I have to switch the tank to reserve it only takes a gallon or so to top it back off... A lot of people said that they get about 170 to 190 miles per tank... I find that kind of hard to believe if the bike is having to go on reserve fuel at only 70 miles traveled

I was quite surprised at how comfortable the bike was and help peppy it was

I have owned and worked on several sport bikes ranging from 600cc to 1000cc i’m currently in the process of rebuilding a 1975 Harley sportster 1000 that have the crank that had the crank pin fail... I was surprised since I’m accustomed to larger bikes that I found this rebel to be so enjoyable to ride by the time we finish putting tires on this thing and a fresh paint job we will have just over $900 in the bike I feel like that’s a huge win

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
Your reserve issue may be due to either a faulty or non-OEM petcock. You're right, it shouldn't need to be switched to reserve after only a gallon.

I got a tank that a dealership sealed with Kreem. It was a disaster. Rust developed under the Kreem and it was peeling off in sheets. It was a real pain to get all that stuff out of the tank. Turns out the tank really didn't need to be sealed, it just needed the rust removed.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Agreeing with flitecontrol, its a 2.6 gallon tank, and you shouldn't need to flip to reserve till you have burned 1.9 gallons and have only 0.7 gal remaining.
Perhaps the in-tank-filter-screen got kreemed as well and only the upper tip of the main feed section is drawing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts