Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Chevrolet G20 Conversion
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently obtained a 1982 Honda CM250C. It needs a few things, so it's a minor project.

It was a freebie, so looking at the maximum value of the bike, I figure that I can toss a couple hundred at the thing, and if it turns out that I'm not interested, I could always sell it, and come out ahead.

But, in searching for available parts and accessories, it seems like an overwhelming percentage of the stuff that the internet offers up to me, is really for a Rebel 250.

Have any CM250 owners had any luck in installing Rebel 250 parts and accessories on a CM250? I expect, (though, I could be very wrong) that the engines are different, so I don't expect that engine components would necessarily be transferable. But, for example, there is a sissy bar/luggage rack that I've run across, intended for a Rebel, and I wonder how difficult it would be to make it fit on my bike, without it looking like some hatchet job.

For now, I just want to keep the street cruiser look about it, and to make it nice and shiny. Reason being, my wife has expressed an interest in riding, so I want her to use this thing to get back in the habit, and also to make sure that she actually DOES want to ride. If the bike is ugly, she won't touch it. She would view it as an embarrassment. After my wife's interest is confirmed, and we get her the bike she wants, I may be inclined to move another direction in modification. (Scrambler conversion? Bobber? Keep a stock-ish look? Who knows?)

At any rate, I'd be interested in hearing from others who have (or have had, or are familiar with the bike) one of these, what y'all have found in the way of parts and accessories, and specifically if any luck was found in using Rebel stuff on the CM250s.

·
Super Moderator
32,775 Posts
Think there are several parts the bikes have in common, but off the top of my head not positive what they are (turn signals, etc.). Check ebay for used parts. I have a chrome front fender I modified to fit one of my rebels and am pretty sure it came off a CM250.

·
Premium Member
1987 rebel 2004 sportster
448 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I believe that the engines are interchangeable but i am not certain. i would assume that many small parts like handlebars mirrors grips etc would interchange. I will be curious to hear how you make out. Sounds like a fun project!!

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,618 Posts
I've recently obtained a 1982 Honda CM250C. It needs a few things, so it's a minor project.

Have any CM250 owners had any luck in installing Rebel 250 parts and accessories on a CM250? I expect, (though, I could be very wrong) that the engines are different, so I don't expect that engine components would necessarily be transferable. But, for example, there is a sissy bar/luggage rack that I've run across, intended for a Rebel, and I wonder how difficult it would be to make it fit on my bike, without it looking like some hatchet job.

At any rate, I'd be interested in hearing from others who have (or have had, or are familiar with the bike) one of these, what y'all have found in the way of parts and accessories, and specifically if any luck was found in using Rebel stuff on the CM250s.
We have a member here who took a Nighthawk engine and put it on a Rebel, and it fit perfectly. So it is possible that the cm250 engine will bolt right to a Rebel in or vice versa.
As far as the sissy bar and the luggage rack goes, I have bought a couple of different ones for other motorcycles and made them fit the Rebel. I have a vlx 600 shadow luggage rack sissy bar on my '85. And a different one for my '86. I swapped the left support bracket for the right support bracket in order to make them fit. They fit well with the way that I've modded mine. The only difference between the two is the spacing between the back of the seat and the front of the sissy bar. You have to take that into account.
You can modify many different designs to work. It really just depends on your skill level and how much money you're willing to throw at it. ;)

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,618 Posts
Is that the belt drive cmx250c or the chain drive? I've often thought about getting a belt drive! If it's a belt drive Send me a PM!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts