Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Got my new 15 tooth front sprocket but the chain that came on the bike when I bought it was to tight to fit without rubbing the front housing.
Bought new chain off Amazon. RK 520-OS-108 O-Ring Chain.
New chain is just clearing the front housing. A business card can just barely fit between chain and housing. Others have stated using a chain same thickness as stock but I can’t find any info on which chains are same as stock thickness. Found some old threads that mentioned chains but can’t find any of the ones mentioned. I’m not the original owner so I don’t even know how thick the stock chain was.
Other issue with 108 links and the 15t sprocket is the wheel needs to be almost to the max front of adjustments which pushes the tire into the Blue Collar Bobber fender where it mounts to the front of the swingarm. Not sure if going with 110 links would take it too far back?
Those are my 2 problems. Any answers would be most appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
adding 2 links to the chain will push the tire back 1 link length

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Does anyone have model number for a specific chain that will work with the 15 tooth sprocket?

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I think a 520 chain is a 520 chain regardless of the manufacturer, but that is 100% opinion with no facts. It seems random from my memory of people having trouble with the clearance using a 15 tooth sprocket. You don't say what year your bike is but mine was a 1985 and it was very close but no contact with the engine cover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry but is there anyone using a 15 tooth front sprocket on their Rebel 250 that can just tell me what specific chain they are using? Brand and model number?
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
hey seriously, 15 tooth sprocket is a fallacy - stock sprock is king

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I did for a short while - I didn't like the loss of upper end torque

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think a 520 chain is a 520 chain regardless of the manufacturer, but that is 100% opinion with no facts. It seems random from my memory of people having trouble with the clearance using a 15 tooth sprocket. You don't say what year your bike is but mine was a 1985 and it was very close but no contact with the engine cover.
A 520 is a 520 does not fly. There is serious variety amongst them. Minimal, but there is.

I also placed a 15 on my Rebel and I just let the chain chew its way to freedom. It doesn't hurt, just (for the first 25Miles) ignore the sounds coming from below.
The area were the chain will rub is material only, no oil behind it so it can't do much harm. I now have zero issues, all spins like it should.

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
Or you could have gone with a 30 tooth rear sprocket and gotten similar results with no fitment issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
A 520 is a 520 does not fly. There is serious variety amongst them. Minimal, but there is.

I also placed a 15 on my Rebel and I just let the chain chew its way to freedom. It doesn't hurt, just (for the first 25Miles) ignore the sounds coming from below.
The area were the chain will rub is material only, no oil behind it so it can't do much harm. I now have zero issues, all spins like it should.
minimal & serious variety? both?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Or you could have gone with a 30 tooth rear sprocket and gotten similar results with no fitment issues.
True, if that would be satisfying.

But this guy is running 15/29 on my running bike, and 15/27 is fitted on my project bike.

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
Is that on a 250 or 450? I would think a Rebel 250 with a 15/27 setup would have some problems accelerating rapidly and peter out towards the top end.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is that on a 250 or 450? I would think a Rebel 250 with a 15/27 setup would have some problems accelerating rapidly and peter out towards the top end.
In the middle of the speed range, in general, all gears actually mean something now. First and second now actually speed up the bike.
And if I need top speed, I'll leave it in 4th. Problem solved. It'll do about the same revs.

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
And my question remains, are you referring to a 450 or 250? I've seen you are selling 450 parts, but there is no model specified in your signature, so folks are left to wonder. OP is about a 250 (108 links).

·
Registered
163 Posts
And my question remains, are you referring to a 450 or 250? I've seen you are selling 450 parts, but there is no model specified in your signature, so folks are left to wonder. OP is about a 250 (108 links).
I'm talking 250 now, sorry.

I have sell and refurbish parts for both 250 and 450.

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
The lack of response is a reflection of how many people aren't doing this mod.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I remember back in 2012 almost everyone was doing it. I tried a 15 front and 31 rear at the same time and was able to convince myself that I was smarter than all the Honda engineers at the time. Oh the memories of constant downshifting to try to maintain speed...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts