Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 Rebel that has been setting outside with a cover on it for about two years. It worked when I parked it. I got it cleaned up today and it won't start. The engine cranks and I have spark. I think it might have a electrical issue going on. Sometimes it acts like it does not have enought power. The starter won't turn and the headlight is dim. Does anyone have any idea's?

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Your battery is dead...they need charging from time to time. I currently have lithium batteries in my bikes and I LOVE THEM!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the battery charger hooked up when working on it. I put the charger on 200 amp start mode and it didn't make a difference.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Gel cells aren't like lithium batteries. If you had it on 200 amps you definitely killed it. It's only a 2 amp hour battery...

Dead battery! Take it to wherever you get your batteries and have them test it. They do that for free. I'm pretty sure it's dead...

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
FWIW, if you ever suspect the bike battery is bad/weak, jump it from a car battery, but be sure the car engine is off. That's not going to fry the battery by over charging it. If it starts, the bike battery is bad.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Good question! I have never used the start mode on a charger.

You can remove the battery and see if the bike push starts. MAKE SURE YOU WRAP THE BATTERY CABLES WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE. The Rebel is one of the very few vehicles that will run without a battery, though I wouldn't run it for very long. Spray some starting fluid or brake wash into the air filter to help it fire. Helps if you are pointing downhill, sit on the bike and duck walk as fast as you can with the clutch pulled in and the bike in first gear. When you get as fast as you can let out the clutch and see if she fires. BE READY TO PULL IN THE CLUTCH IF THE ENGINE FIRES.

Your best bet is to take the battery to the shop and test it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have bumped started the bike before. I bought the battery about 2 years ago and used it in the bike once. Since then the battery has been stored in the original box inside my house. The battery spent less than 10 minutes in the bike until today. The battery could have went bad over the years. The number on it is ep-ytx7l-bs.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Spray some starting fluid into the air filter. And either jump start from the car or push start. Only way to troubleshoot is by doing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I suspect the super-high setting you had on the battery charger "fried the battery."

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Either that or the the battery went bad setting for a few years. I won't hook it up that way again.

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it to start after cleaning the carb. It will idle now but when I tire the throttle a little it dies, but if I crank it last that point it keeps running.

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
48 hours is my recommended minimum soak time in Chem Dip. Are you using choke to start it? If yes, carb's probably not completely clean.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Motorcycles are cold blooded, the engine works best when it's warmed up. My bikes will stutter when you give throttle for slow speed until they warm up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am using the choke and I also let it warm up. I was figuring that I misses something in the carb. This is my first time messing with a carb.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts