Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i have an 04 rebel with just over 6k miles on it i picked it up for 800 bucks from an elderly gentleman it has a few cosmetic issues but all in all is a good bike.
Well now the bikes engine wants to stall when i give it more than half throttle or sometimes even just shifting into 2nd gear it wants to die. Anyone else have this issue or possibly know what is causing it thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Most Rebel engine issues are due to a dirty carburetor. If the fuel wasn't drained before storage, it will turn to varnish/gum, blocking the tiny orifices. The best way to clean a carb is with an ultrasonic cleaner. Second is disassembling the carb and placing only the metal parts in a Berryman Chem Dip bath for at least 48 hours, followed by a thorough water rinse and blowing out every opening and part with high pressure compressed air. Canned air and carb spray will not get a dirty carb clean. Once the carb is clean, before installing it, install an in-line fuel filter and make sure the tank is clean and free of rust. There are how-to threads on all these subjects on the forum. If you have any questions, folks here are good about responding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks man and the guy did tell me it was sitting and the gas thats in it from him almost looks like mix gas so i think ill drain the tank too and take a look at that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So update i was just looking through forums on here read some a out air issue that might make the bike bog out like mine so I removed filter cover and wouldn't you know the filter was upside down the push spring wasnt even on and to boot the filter was just kinda sat in the box not even connected. All said and done put it bsck in right started the bike let it warm up for a few min. Then gave it gas and no bog issue gave it almost full throttle and it was fine, have not took it for a ride yet but soon will.

Side note the filter itself also smells of gas why could that be?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts