Honda Rebel Forum

Honda Rebel Forum (https://www.hondarebelforum.com/forumindex.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Scooting by to say hey (https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f19/scooting-by-to-say-hey-123133.html)

justBrad9 01-27-2020 08:34 PM

Scooting by to say hey

Another new guy here. Don't have a Rebel, but am considering options as I make the transition from scooter to motorcycle. My wife and I passed our MSF course together back in November 2018, but weren't feeling confident about our ability to handle a manual transmission and get used to riding in traffic. For context, I took the course at age 38 (will be 40 in September) and prior to that the only two-wheeler I'd ever ridden were bicycles. We ended up getting a couple Kymco scooters (hers a 2018 Like 200i and mine a 2013 Super 8 150) to get used to riding on the streets.

The scoots are a lot of fun, but I'm feeling ready to graduate. I've been torn between sticking with an auto trans and getting a CTX700N w/ DCT or getting a Rebel 500, which was really the bike I originally wanted. Low seat height is a must. I'm 5'6" on a good day and my height is definitely not in my legs. I'm still feeling iffy on mastering the manual trans, but from what I've read the 2020 Rebel is very forgiving.

Anyway, I'm still researching and exploring options, which brought me to this forum. If anyone has experience with the Rebel 500 vs the CTX700n, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

flitecontrol 01-27-2020 09:10 PM

Welcome. This forum deals primarily with the first (1985-87) and second generation (1996-2016) Rebels. The folks at hondarebel3forum.com can better address your question.

justBrad9 01-27-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flitecontrol (Post 1247187)
Welcome. This forum deals primarily with the first (1985-87) and second generation (1996-2016) Rebels. The folks at hondarebel3forum.com can better address your question.

Ah. Thanks for the heads up.

wjmrty 01-28-2020 05:16 AM

Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

7milesout 01-30-2020 10:11 AM

Hello Brad, and welcome. I have a scooter too. That will be sold this spring. A Burgman 650 Executive. They call it a maxi scooter or superscooter or some such thing. I had in my mind that I was just going to love the thing. But I never fell in love with it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good bike and an interesting ride. But something in me just didn't jive with it. I've rode all types of bikes and even roadraced (knees dragging) a century ago. It's a combination of disadvantages with the scooter. In the end it came down to the fact that the absolute best mpg I could get with it was 47 mpg.

If you ask me, for what it is, that's dismal. I think the CVT and drive type on that bike has a lot of drag. I just happen to have a coworker show up one day on a Rebel, and it was love at 2nd sight again. When I was a kid, my dad brought home a Honda Rebel brochure (must have been like 1985). I looked that brochure over about 100 times reading every word and salivating. I fell in love with it then. He never bought one and eventually I moved on. Up until my coworker showed up with one at work in 2019. Shortly thereafter I bought a 2016 Rebel with 44 miles on it. Brought it home and found it so much more satisfying in nearly every way than the Burgman. And I'm in love with the Rebel. Don't ask my why, I can't explain it. The little sucker only does 72 mph, but I even love that about it. It gives me all it has. When I move the 2 bikes around in my garage, the Rebel feels like a fun little toy compared to the Burgman. I've hit 70+ mpg on the Rebel and didn't even try. With a bit of effort, I'm certain I could hit 80 mpg.

Anywho - I think you'll find shifting gears is nothing but 2nd nature after a couple/few rides. And it is very satisfying to have that much more control over a drivetrain.

7milesout

justBrad9 01-30-2020 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7milesout (Post 1247245)
...I think you'll find shifting gears is nothing but 2nd nature after a couple/few rides. And it is very satisfying to have that much more control over a drivetrain.

7milesout

Thanks for your response. I'm hoping that shifting will feel 2nd nature after I get some more practice on it. The thing I was most disappointed in with the MSF course was that there was not much time devoted to really practicing upshifting and downshifting. People have said you have to take a more advanced course for that but, at least to me, that seemed the part with the most potential for error.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

01-7700 01-31-2020 11:32 AM

Shifting gets better with practice. So get a bike and practice. You may find the extra weight on a 700 more than you'd like - I'd go with the 500.

Don't get rid of your scooters - I find I ride my Ruckus more often than my Rebel. It's just easier to get on and go and more fun to ride around town.