Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner

Anyone bought Volar (Cheap) Chain ?

4K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  flitecontrol 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with this cheap chain sold on Amazon? Any other low cost chain recommendations?

Volar Heavy Duty Chain

My Rebel currently has 15/31 installed with ~9,000 miles on the chains and sprockets. I have the original stock 14/33 that I'm going to reinstall. I'm assuming these have ~2000 miles on them. (First owner made the swap).

I know it's best practice to put on new sprockets with chains, but since the sprockets have such light wear on them - I'm looking for a cheaper chain this time around. Next time around I'll probably buy a higher quality set.

#4 ·
The only bike I run cheap non O-ring chains on is my dual sport, which is mostly used off road. The silica sand here in AZ chews up the O-rings. I have several chains for this bike. It only takes a couple of minutes to swap them out. After a day of riding, I remove the chain, and drop in into a gallon jug of used motor oil, and let it soak. I usually have a couple soaking at the time. When I get ready to go for a ride, I take one of them out, hang it over a bucket and let it drip for a couple hours, and put it on the bike. I just keep rotating the chains. But that is not practical on a street bike, and the consequences of a broken chain on the street are likely to be far more serious than while riding off road.

Even though a Rebel does not make much power, I would get the best chain available, and take care of it. It will be safer, and in the long run it will pay for itself. Because the Rebel is a low power bike, a good O-ring chain will last practically forever.

#5 ·
Even though a Rebel does not make much power, I would get the best chain available, and take care of it. It will be safer, and in the long run it will pay for itself. Because the Rebel is a low power bike, a good O-ring chain will last practically forever.
Any advice on a JT chain and sprocket set? It runs about $105 - I'm looking at a 108-link 520 and the original 14/33 setup. I says it is "Chromoly Front Sprocket; High Carbon C49 Steel Rear Sprocket". I tried searching the forums, but "JT" and "DID" are too small of words to come up. :serious:

#8 ·
Not really, Chromoly and high carbon steel sound like pretty good materials to me. It's most important to keep your chain clean, lubed with a good quality O ring type chain lube, and properly tensioned to maintain your investment.

#9 ·
It's most important to keep your chain clean, lubed with a good quality O ring type chain lube, and properly tensioned to maintain your investment.
Ooops, the DID I found is an X-ring, I was under the impression that this is also good? I could not find an O-ring DID...

#11 ·
My first DID X-ring chain was good for over 20,000 miles, the last one (O-ring) needs replacing and has less than 8,000 miles on it. I ordered JT sprockets and chain. I know their sprockets are good, and will learn how good the chain is. Think I paid around $85 for a kit with everything in it on ebay.

#13 ·
Yes, all the components are replaced, every time. Not sure why the chain isn't lasting as long. May have something to do with the tubeless rim on the back, but think I have things lined up properly.

#15 ·
The chain that didn't last long was counterfeit, and not made by DID. The Chinese company that sold them even copied the DID box.

I prefer chains with a master link, but they can be purchased without one. You just need the correct tools to install those without a master.

#17 ·
You can buy a master link for a DID chain, but it needs to match the type chain you have. If in doubt, contact DID for clarification as to whether a particular master will fit your chain. They were pretty quick to respond to my questions. Here's their web site: Daido Corporation of America

#19 ·
Sorry, I'm not paying attention. I only have a few thousand miles on the JT sprocket kit. So far, everything has performed well, including the chain. Mine came with a master link.

#21 ·
That's what I get for posting when I ought to be in bed!

You could probably contact the seller and find out for sure if it hasn't come in yet. The side plates on my chain have Japan and EK250 SRO stamped on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.