oportunity to buy the 87 rebel 450 - Honda Rebel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By flitecontrol
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Question oportunity to buy the 87 rebel 450

hello there , i'm new here . glad to see you guys

i have some question if it's not a problem to ask , but want to know an second oppinion regarding my purchase

i have an oportunity to buy the 87 rebel 450 locally from a friend for like 1000$ , broken . heard that they are very rare
it worked perfect till this summer , when it ran out of battery from standing in the winter , and he tried to give power from a car , and damaged some things ( yes , very stupid )

the service guys said that it needs some parts + oil change , filters cleaning carbs etc
he said he needs new CDI or new BOBINA ignition motor ( hope i m writing corect in english )

he doesn't know exactly which of this two needs to be replaced
and the " BENDIX " sounds like it doesn't have much life , and need to be replaced too

what's your oppinion about this ? should i get it , repair it and put it on the streets ? i love it cause it's made custom , bobber
can i find this parts ? or it's very hard to find them ?
here are some pics of the rebel 450 . The yellow vespa 2019 , 300cc it's mine

thanks a lot in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-16 at 19.15.57.jpeg (152.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-16 at 19.15.57 (1).jpeg (156.1 KB, 8 views)
dudeasca is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 27,901
Welcome to the forum. As you may know, jumping a bike battery from a car can be done safely, but the car engine should be off when it is done. If the car engine was not running when jumping the bike, I suspect there may be some other electrical issues.

Your friend may have just blown some fuses, which is an easy fix. Has that been checked?

CDI and the starting motor do fail occasionally, but replacement parts are still available from Honda or other sources. Jacks Rebel Warehouse here in the U.S. sells a quality replacement CDI, and has a good inventory of used parts. He does ship overseas. Because the starting motor is inside the engine, repairing it requires splitting the cases.

If the bike was running well when put away for winter, the carbs shouldn't need cleaning, even if the fuel wasn't drained first. Draining the carburetor before storage is recommended. When the electrical issues are resolved, drain the old gas and put fresh in. Look inside the tank and see if there is visible rust. If there is, the tank should be cleaned and an inline fuel filter installed to keep any contaminants from reaching the carb. There is a video on installing an inline fuel filter here: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f39/...ter-13278.html

The 450 is a pleasure to ride. Not too heavy , good power, and with the six gears, very smooth at highway speeds.

Because the bike was only produced for two years, it can be difficult to find used parts if there weren't many sold in your country.

Keepin' all the left over parts. Gonna use 'em to build another bike!

'01 & '09 Rebel 250, '06 Ninja 250, '89 VN 750
Putting your bike year and model in your signature helps others help you!
Here's how: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f19/...re-121087.html
flitecontrol is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Welcome to the forum. As you may know, jumping a bike battery from a car can be done safely, but the car engine should be off when it is done. If the car engine was not running when jumping the bike, I suspect there may be some other electrical issues.

Your friend may have just blown some fuses, which is an easy fix. Has that been checked?

CDI and the starting motor do fail occasionally, but replacement parts are still available from Honda or other sources. Jacks Rebel Warehouse here in the U.S. sells a quality replacement CDI, and has a good inventory of used parts. He does ship overseas. Because the starting motor is inside the engine, repairing it requires splitting the cases.

If the bike was running well when put away for winter, the carbs shouldn't need cleaning, even if the fuel wasn't drained first. Draining the carburetor before storage is recommended. When the electrical issues are resolved, drain the old gas and put fresh in. Look inside the tank and see if there is visible rust. If there is, the tank should be cleaned and an inline fuel filter installed to keep any contaminants from reaching the carb. There is a video on installing an inline fuel filter here: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f39/...ter-13278.html

The 450 is a pleasure to ride. Not too heavy , good power, and with the six gears, very smooth at highway speeds.

Because the bike was only produced for two years, it can be difficult to find used parts if there weren't many sold in your country.

thank's a lot for the reply
the car was running when tried to start the bike mutiple times

i'm from romania , anything i order overseas takes ages to get to me :<
need to find a source in EU / UK
i think there is rust in the tank , cause the owner forgot to put petrol in it before letting the bike in the winter
can i get cdi from the new rebels ? also other parts fit from the new rebels ?
also what do you think about the price ? should i go for it ?
thanks again
dudeasca is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 02:15 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 27,901
There are a few 450 bikes in Europe whose owners are members of this forum. They might know sources for parts.

I'm pretty sure the CDI for the 250 Rebel isn't interchangeable with the 450. The turn signals are interchangeable, but not a whole lot more.

That would be a fair price for a stock (unmodified, all original parts) bike that didn't need major repairs here in the U.S. But if the electrical system is fried, and the tank and carburetors need cleaning, you might try and negotiate a lower price. If cleaning the tank reveals small holes, that further reduces the price. Holes in the tank can be repaired using an epoxy liner. This is what we use here: https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy...nk-sealer.html
dudeasca likes this.

Keepin' all the left over parts. Gonna use 'em to build another bike!

'01 & '09 Rebel 250, '06 Ninja 250, '89 VN 750
Putting your bike year and model in your signature helps others help you!
Here's how: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f19/...re-121087.html
flitecontrol is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 05:21 PM
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 50
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
There are a few 450 bikes in Europe whose owners are members of this forum. They might know sources for parts.

I'm pretty sure the CDI for the 250 Rebel isn't interchangeable with the 450. The turn signals are interchangeable, but not a whole lot more.

That would be a fair price for a stock (unmodified, all original parts) bike that didn't need major repairs here in the U.S. But if the electrical system is fried, and the tank and carburetors need cleaning, you might try and negotiate a lower price. If cleaning the tank reveals small holes, that further reduces the price. Holes in the tank can be repaired using an epoxy liner. This is what we use here: https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy...nk-sealer.html
just out of curiosity, what typically goes when jumping a rebel from a car? ive jumped both of mine multiple times with my car running no issues... do you just start the bike with the leads on and car off?

2002 Honda Rebel 250
1981 Kawasaki KM100
1986 Honda Rebel 450
Daren4ch is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 11:14 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 27,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren4ch View Post
just out of curiosity, what typically goes when jumping a rebel from a car? ive jumped both of mine multiple times with my car running no issues... do you just start the bike with the leads on and car off?
I think various components can be damaged. The bike should be jumped from a car with the engine off, not running. A car battery has a lot more amps than a bike engine needs to start, so it won't drain the car battery, even with the engine off.

Keepin' all the left over parts. Gonna use 'em to build another bike!

'01 & '09 Rebel 250, '06 Ninja 250, '89 VN 750
Putting your bike year and model in your signature helps others help you!
Here's how: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f19/...re-121087.html
flitecontrol is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 11:08 AM
 
kryton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,906
Garage
forgive me for oversimplifying this: Car alternators are computer regulated, and when running with a very dead motorcycle battery attached, the car's computer would try to compensate, and could push 18v+ down the jumper cables and fry your electronics.
if the motorcycle battery is just a little bit low and not dead this probably won't happen.

2009 Honda Rebel 250; 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit
"The bravest thing for me to do is admit when I am wrong" - unknown
HRF Answer #1 You should take the MSF Rider Course
HRF Answer #2 You need to clean your carburetor
HRF Answer #3 Sorry we assumed if you didn't say otherwise
kryton is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 06-19-2019, 07:29 PM
DNC
 
DNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,047
Garage
The main is designed to blow and I will bet that is what happened. Did you check the main fuse?

Check all of them.

Based on your car 'jumping' episode, if a fuse is not the culprit, I recommend you get a multimeter to check electrical components.

Take the battery out and see if it can be charged.

Wondering: did you do a post to post connection or ground the running car when you attempted to start the bike? If former, check electronics, see kryton's note. If latter, check the main fuse. It is there to save your components and if it 'works' it blows. Did you have power (headlight/dash) when you immediately connected it to the running car) before engaging starter? IF all went dead after engaging starter, I would bet you blew the main.

Push starting should work (next time) on a almost dead battery provided the stator is ok. Check stator with multimeter (easily done form plug under seat)

New CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) units are available from Jack's Rebel Warehouse in FL. Lots of other stuff to try before replacing and you can check it with a multimeter too

Flight makes some good points based on your location, but parts can be found. There are a couple of guys across the pond that do a lot with 450's. There is a guy in Italy who only does 450's on Facebook. search for Leo Van Mil and check out his 450 parts page, lots of info and he is much closer to you. I kinda wish he lived here!

I (personally) would use the customizations and car jumping episode as 'leverage' to get the bike, AS-IS, for a much cheaper price. If you have seen this bike running, I am sure it will not take much to get it started. Just need to diagnose thoroughly.

Good luck!

'86 CMX450 Gin-ba
'87 CMX450 Kuro
'86 CMX450 Tabo
'90 CB-1 Seishin
'86 CMX450 Uki
DNC is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 PM
jax
 
jax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atascadero Ca. 93422
Posts: 1,695
Garage
Pull the cover next to the battery and fold up the rubber cover on the starter relay and check the fuse. Should be 20 amp stock, for some reason I have found some previous owners have put a 30 amp fuse on the starter relay. Should be another one under the starter relay.
Good luck

Ride Safe
Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up
1986 450 Rebel
jax is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome