2001 rebel 250 hard to get into neutral - Page 3 - Honda Rebel Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 Old 06-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Moderator
 
01-7700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,393
Garage
I had a Honda XL500 that would spring into neutral by putting a little bit of down pressure on the shifter when in 1st gear and just slide the foot off the shifter sideways. I've tried that on every bike I've ridden since and none of them had that same handy feature.

1985 CMX250 ... 1986 CMX450 ... 2005 Ruckus 50
Keith from Maine USA - Banning Spammers since 2016
01-7700 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 32 Old 06-11-2019, 03:38 PM
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: NJ Suburb of NYC
Posts: 10
I have '16 Rebel and I have an opposite problem. sometimes if I make a complete stop in 2nd gear , there is considerable resistance while I am "going through" neutral to get to 1st. And quite often it does not let me shift into 1st and stays in neutral. Then I would need to either repeat the clutch or rarely often to rock it to pass into 1st - it would be still followed with some resistance and a "clunk" sound...

since I am fresh rider (~350 miles under my pegs) , I am not sure if this is the pattern, but it seems that this is less likely to happen if I ride it in 2nd gear for few moments before a stop, and more likely to happen if I am quickly downshifting from higher gears (or made a full stop in, let's say 3rd gear). does this make any sense?

2015 rebel 250

------
2016 Rebel owner
mladenko is offline  
post #23 of 32 Old 06-11-2019, 11:18 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 28,300
Welcome, mladenko. Have you taken a basic rider course? If not, it is the best way to learn the basics of street riding, and time and money well spent. Professionally trained riders have fewer, less severe accidents than self /friend/family member taught.

If you take the course, you will learn that you should downshift as bike speed decreases, so you are always ready to accelerate if needed. In short, you shouldn't be stopping in second gear. When shifting to first from second, be sure the bike is travelling at less than 15 mph.

It is always easier to shift if the bike is moving.

Keepin' all the left over parts. Gonna use 'em to build another bike!

'01 & '09 Rebel 250, '06 Ninja 250, '89 VN 750
Putting your bike year and model in your signature helps others help you!
Here's how: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f19/...re-121087.html
flitecontrol is offline  
 
post #24 of 32 Old 06-13-2019, 07:18 PM
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: NJ Suburb of NYC
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Welcome, mladenko. Have you taken a basic rider course? If not, it is the best way to learn the basics of street riding, and time and money well spent. Professionally trained riders have fewer, less severe accidents than self /friend/family member taught.

If you take the course, you will learn that you should downshift as bike speed decreases, so you are always ready to accelerate if needed. In short, you shouldn't be stopping in second gear. When shifting to first from second, be sure the bike is travelling at less than 15 mph.

It is always easier to shift if the bike is moving.
flitecontrol, I asked the same question while taking the course. instructor said it was a matter of preference, though he likes to save brake pads so he usually downshifts. I ride mostly on heavily congested roads of NJ suburbs of NYC so have to shift up and down quite a bit. I would prefer to downshift, but since I am a new rider sometimes I stop in 2nd gear.

but what I have noticed is that I also have an issue that it won't go from 1st up into 2nd. rarely though, but it gets "caught up" somewhere and stays in neutral.... maybe it's me, still learning, what do I know at this point..

2015 rebel 250

------
2016 Rebel owner
mladenko is offline  
post #25 of 32 Old 06-13-2019, 10:47 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 28,300
I still have a similar problem with sometimes going to neutral when shifting to second. It's due to not lifting the shift lever all the way until it stops. It doesn't take much force to up or downshift, but pressure should be applied until the next gear is reached. Then be sure to allow the shifter to return to the "ready position".

Periodically cleaning and lubricating the shift linkage, including the bearings in the rear left case cover the shift shaft goes through, makes for easy, smooth shifting.

With time, you'll be shifting without consciously thinking about it.

Keepin' all the left over parts. Gonna use 'em to build another bike!

'01 & '09 Rebel 250, '06 Ninja 250, '89 VN 750
Putting your bike year and model in your signature helps others help you!
Here's how: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f19/...re-121087.html
flitecontrol is offline  
post #26 of 32 Old 06-17-2019, 12:42 PM
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: NJ Suburb of NYC
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
I still have a similar problem with sometimes going to neutral when shifting to second. It's due to not lifting the shift lever all the way until it stops. It doesn't take much force to up or downshift, but pressure should be applied until the next gear is reached. Then be sure to allow the shifter to return to the "ready position".

Periodically cleaning and lubricating the shift linkage, including the bearings in the rear left case cover the shift shaft goes through, makes for easy, smooth shifting.

With time, you'll be shifting without consciously thinking about it.
Thanks Flite!

------
2016 Rebel owner
mladenko is offline  
post #27 of 32 Old 06-18-2019, 12:47 PM
 
kryton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,916
Garage
You also might try adjusting the shift lever 1/4"-1/2" forward/downward, it helped me a lot with the 1 -> up catch in N instead of 2nd.
PO was quite short and had the controls adjusted to fit, the pull was not 100% ergonomic to me till after I adjusted it (the 3rd time).

2009 Honda Rebel 250; 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit
"The bravest thing for me to do is admit when I am wrong" - unknown
HRF Answer #1 You should take the MSF Rider Course
HRF Answer #2 You need to clean your carburetor
HRF Answer #3 Sorry we assumed if you didn't say otherwise
kryton is offline  
post #28 of 32 Old 06-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 28,300
As kryton explains, the shifter assembly can be customized to fit. Just be sure to keep everything parallel as shown in this diagram: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f36/...gram-9155.html

Keepin' all the left over parts. Gonna use 'em to build another bike!

'01 & '09 Rebel 250, '06 Ninja 250, '89 VN 750
Putting your bike year and model in your signature helps others help you!
Here's how: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f19/...re-121087.html
flitecontrol is offline  
post #29 of 32 Old 06-18-2019, 07:46 PM
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: NJ Suburb of NYC
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryton View Post
You also might try adjusting the shift lever 1/4"-1/2" forward/downward, it helped me a lot with the 1 -> up catch in N instead of 2nd.
PO was quite short and had the controls adjusted to fit, the pull was not 100% ergonomic to me till after I adjusted it (the 3rd time).
so the idea is to move lever closer to your resting position so technically you start shifting tad earlier than before adjustment? more leverage?

like this:


Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
As kryton explains, the shifter assembly can be customized to fit. Just be sure to keep everything parallel as shown in this diagram: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f36/...gram-9155.html
got it. but as I am looking at this the only way you can get it out of parallel is if you mess with connecting rod, assuming it is parallel now. am I correct ?

2015 rebel 250

------
2016 Rebel owner
mladenko is offline  
post #30 of 32 Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 PM
 
Guba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Creston, Ohio
Posts: 5,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by mladenko View Post

got it. but as I am looking at this the only way you can get it out of parallel is if you mess with connecting rod, assuming it is parallel now. am I correct ?

2015 rebel 250

That's correct.

MC.com ruined this forum

Silver '86 450
Black '00 250
Red '07 250
Guba is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome