Today I Made The Switch - Honda Rebel Forum
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Unread 10-27-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 42
Talking Today I Made The Switch

Today I made the switch. I'm officially going to be running regular non-ethanol fuel in all of my machines with carburetors.


I was searching for ethanol free gas near me for a while now. I saw a station online a few months ago, but I blew it off. Every previous attempt to find ethanol free gas turned out to be a wild goose chase. Well this morning I was buying an oil filter for my pickup. I was at a walmart right next to the station. When I was done I figured I would drive by the pump and see if it was really true. Sure enough, they have a dedicated ethanol free 87 octane pump. I felt as though I unearthed a hidden treasure. I went home for gas cans and filled up two five gallon cans of ethanol free gas.



I got home and started the Rebel to let it run a bit. I proceeded to drain the tank and run carb dry. I filled the bike with regular E0 gas and fired it up. It was 54 cents a gallon more than E10, but it was completely worth it. The bike runs ten times better. No stumble. No choppy idle. No backfires when slowing down. Snappy throttle response. I feel a little bit more pickup while accelerating to highway speed. There is a definite change in the performance of fuel with no ethanol.


The ethanol free fuel has different physical properties than E10. It doesn't stink like E10. Don't get me wrong it smells gassy, but doesn't have the bite of the alcohol. When it drips on to the tank, or other surfaces it doesn't expand as much as e10. For example, a drop will kind of stay in one spot and not spread out. Also, it evaporates at almost twice the rate. Small droplets almost immediately evaporate. On top of all this I think that it should store much better.


As long as they keep selling it I will keep buying it. It has made a drastic positive impact on how the bike runs. I haven't begun to test it in my other bikes or power equipment yet, but I expect the same result.


I recommend making the switch. Even if if its out of the way, and costs more. Its completely worth it, and your bike will really love it.

1970 CT90
1986XL600R
2001 KE100
2002 Honda Rebel
I'll buy a Harley someday
samsquanch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Unread 10-27-2019, 10:41 PM
Moderator
 
01-7700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,379
Garage
i've heard that they sell e free gas close to me but i haven't tried it yet

riders swear by it tho

frankly, i haven't had any problems with the e gas so far and i have the 10% off card with my local gas station

to be honest, their regular price is 10% more than others but it's convenient

easy in and out on my way to work

1985 CMX250 ... 1986 CMX450 ... 2005 Ruckus 50
Keith from Maine USA - Banning Spammers since 2016
01-7700 is online now  
post #3 of 9 Unread 10-27-2019, 11:37 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 28,291
I went the other way, from ethanol free to 10% ethanol. Didn't notice any difference in performance or fuel efficiency.

Keepin' all the left over parts. Gonna use 'em to build another bike!

'01 & '09 Rebel 250, '06 Ninja 250, '89 VN 750
Putting your bike year and model in your signature helps others help you!
Here's how: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f19/...re-121087.html
flitecontrol is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Unread 10-28-2019, 12:46 AM
 
Shadow Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las VLXas (Vegas, baby!) NV U.S.A.
Posts: 11,901
Garage
I'd love to make the switch, but the only stations around here selling E-Free fuel is $7.99/gallon 100 octane racing fuel. $16 to go 140-150 miles, I might as well drive my truck.

After that the closest stations selling "normal" octane E-Free fuel at "normal" prices will require refueling before getting there and refueling again before pulling into my driveway. That's even more pointless than the $8/gallon stuff nearby.

"Ride Safe, Chop Safer" Motorcycles are not unsafe. However; they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.
Dismantling, sawzalling, and rattle canning does not make a bobber.
Those are STEPS toward customizing, not customizing unto itself.
Shadow Shack is offline  
post #5 of 9 Unread 11-04-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 42
Short term review on E0 gas.


So the bike is running much better than it has ever run. I have taken it on the highway a few times, and it has excellent pull with zero ethanol fuel. Running it brings back the smell of cars I remember as a child. All in all it is a much better ride. Right out of the gate it fires up better, runs better getting up to temp, smoother cruising. It feels like much more a stable burn. Power on the highway is noticeably better than before the switch. Its a generally all around better ride. If you have the chance to run ethanol free gas you should do it.


Now the downside. Ever since making the switch gas has begun to leak from the carburetor gasket. I believe this was due to ethanol swelling the rubber gasket. Now with regular gas the seals have shrunk allowing fuel to leak out. It only does this after sitting about a week. After running it doesn't leak out. Only after sitting a few days. Its not much, only enough to stay saturated. Also, some fuel collects around the gas cap on the tank.


Still the pros out weigh the cons of using ethanol free gas. I will continue to keep a store of it as long as the supply is still there. I hope it doesn't go away any time soon. As I restore old cars and bikes as a hobby. I'm glad I found this station and hope its around for years to come.

1970 CT90
1986XL600R
2001 KE100
2002 Honda Rebel
I'll buy a Harley someday
samsquanch is offline  
post #6 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 03:44 PM
 
Lordracula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch View Post
Short term review on E0 gas.


So the bike is running much better than it has ever run. I have taken it on the highway a few times, and it has excellent pull with zero ethanol fuel. Running it brings back the smell of cars I remember as a child. All in all it is a much better ride. Right out of the gate it fires up better, runs better getting up to temp, smoother cruising. It feels like much more a stable burn. Power on the highway is noticeably better than before the switch. Its a generally all around better ride. If you have the chance to run ethanol free gas you should do it.


Now the downside. Ever since making the switch gas has begun to leak from the carburetor gasket. I believe this was due to ethanol swelling the rubber gasket. Now with regular gas the seals have shrunk allowing fuel to leak out. It only does this after sitting about a week. After running it doesn't leak out. Only after sitting a few days. Its not much, only enough to stay saturated. Also, some fuel collects around the gas cap on the tank.


Still the pros out weigh the cons of using ethanol free gas. I will continue to keep a store of it as long as the supply is still there. I hope it doesn't go away any time soon. As I restore old cars and bikes as a hobby. I'm glad I found this station and hope its around for years to come.
Highest we can get in the UK is 97 as far as I know and that stuff is noticably better than our standard 95, so more power to you
Lordracula is offline  
post #7 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordracula View Post
Highest we can get in the UK is 97 as far as I know and that stuff is noticably better than our standard 95, so more power to you

I'm only running 87 octane with no added ethanol. As far as ethanol content in fuel in the UK I wouldn't have a slight clue.



Most engines wont benefit from a higher octane fuel as they don't have high enough compression to cause pre-detonation. Higher octane ratings doesn't mean more power. The higher numbers only offer a greater resistance to detonation.



The only benefit of burning a higher octane fuel in an engine that doesn't require it is an increase in acceleration due to less coinage being in your pockets after a refuel.

1970 CT90
1986XL600R
2001 KE100
2002 Honda Rebel
I'll buy a Harley someday
samsquanch is offline  
post #8 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 06:03 PM
 
Lordracula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch View Post
I'm only running 87 octane with no added ethanol. As far as ethanol content in fuel in the UK I wouldn't have a slight clue.



Most engines wont benefit from a higher octane fuel as they don't have high enough compression to cause pre-detonation. Higher octane ratings doesn't mean more power. The higher numbers only offer a greater resistance to detonation.



The only benefit of burning a higher octane fuel in an engine that doesn't require it is an increase in acceleration due to less coinage being in your pockets after a refuel.

Ah right, our regular petrol is 95 octane, I mean. No idea about ethanol content, but the 97 octane definitely runs smoother. No coughing from the engine when it's running on it's last drop of fuel
Lordracula is offline  
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 08:28 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 28,291
Octane rating systems can vary between countries. Think in the U.S. it's M+R/2. Not sure what UK's is.

Keepin' all the left over parts. Gonna use 'em to build another bike!

'01 & '09 Rebel 250, '06 Ninja 250, '89 VN 750
Putting your bike year and model in your signature helps others help you!
Here's how: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f19/...re-121087.html
flitecontrol is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome