First of all thanks for the guys answering some of my questions! Not always the answers I wanted to hear but either way it appreciated!
This is my first bike Iíve worked on. Everything is new to me and Iíve had to learn fast!
When I got the bike it was a **** heap! No chain, rust everywhere, engine wasnít running great,
rear shocks held on by a welded washer,
the list was endless! So I started by completely stripping everything other than the engine and electrics and spent a few hours wire brushing everything, Iíve sanded back the major rust on the frame, left the bare meter showing for a ďrougherĒ look.
I then set about cleaning the electrics up, Iíve moved the rectifier/cdi under the tank using the existing mount, cable ties, a clip from Work and foam, (the tank has been lifted so fits with ample clearance!)
The horn has been relocated under the seat. The wiring on these bikes, are hideous. I might in the future strip the whole loom and make one from scratch taking all the i unnecessary **** out. (Pipe up safety police)
Iíve striped and brushed the rattlecanned engine covers and refitted new gaskets. I also fitted a new clutch as it was cheap and I was there anyway. (Really simple job) there were a few snapped cover bolts that Iíve drilled and helicoiled to prevent this issue again, why manufacturers donít helicoil every cast bolt hole i donít know!?
As some may have seen my exhausts were shot! And living in the UK The cheapsest set in England was a staggering £750.
So Iíve made do, stripped all the rust from them, painted them in aircraft grade paint (the stuff I use at work on casings exceeding 1200 degrees) and wrapped them with some 12Ē shortyís on. They have baffles in which gives some backpressure. (Again before the fun police pipe up)
Whatís left to do...
Find some bars I like, the ones on it now look kinda dumb, I want the rise but not the width so some skinny 7-10Ē rise bars are in the cards.
Iíve got to weld some tabs to the swing arm to secure the fender, and figure out how Iím going to mount my seat. I donít want springs.
New headlight has come but I stupidly didnít look in the existing one and see just how much wire is in it, so Iím planning on putting the loom into an old puncture repair tin and strapping it behind the headlight!
New bullet indicators all round will be fitted and Iím currently making a side mount for a liscence plate and tail light to go on! Most of you over the pond have it so easy with your tiny liscenece plates!
Iím gonna be leaving all the metal bare and I will be adding some small details, such as my favourite beer can as a starter motor cover and maybe some more tasteful ďratty-nessĒ
Iím sure thereís more to do and more Iíve done but I will post some better pictures later! For now thatís all!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk