2017 Rebels Announced - Page 6 - Honda Rebel Forum
 159Likes
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 412 Old 11-23-2016, 01:35 PM
 
Sconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 211
Some color would be nice. Maybe they are listening and will give us the options once the website allows us to customize it. As far as the high price of the 500, I would probably just add $1500 and get the shadow 750 and get what I feel is way more for the money.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Sconda is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 412 Old 11-23-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Shadow Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las VLXas (Vegas, baby!) NV U.S.A.
Posts: 11,826
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconda View Post
Some color would be nice. Maybe they are listening and will give us the options once the website allows us to customize it.
I'll believe it when I see it. History dictates Honda's accessory line for the bike will be the traditional stamped-on-the-brochure "backrest, windshield, and saddlebags" offering.

"Ride Safe, Chop Safer" Motorcycles are not unsafe. However; they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.
Dismantling, sawzalling, and rattle canning does not make a bobber.
Those are STEPS toward customizing, not customizing unto itself.
Shadow Shack is offline  
post #53 of 412 Old 11-23-2016, 01:41 PM
 
Sconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. History dictates Honda's accessory line for the bike will be the traditional stamped-on-the-brochure "backrest, windshield, and saddlebags" offering.
And that makes me sad.😔

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Sconda is offline  
 
post #54 of 412 Old 11-23-2016, 11:30 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 775
When it comes to motorcycles I'm definitely old school. I owned a '66 Triumph Bonneville 30 years ago. I currently own a '13 Royal Enfield B5 with an aftermarket pipe on it. It still looks, sounds, and feels like a vintage British bike. I also have an '02 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, which is a 1985 design, came out the same year as the original Rebel. The only thing I really don't like about it's looks is the engine. It's liquid cooled, with no fins at all. It looks like a water pump or an air compressor to me. When I saw the "new" Rebel, I sold a Kymco scooter I had gotten bored with, and bought a brand new '16 Rebel. It's my third one. I just can't seem to stay away from these wonderful little bikes, even though I'm 6' 220.

Of the current Japanese bikes, about the only ones I like, besides the "old" Rebel,are the Honda Aero 750, Honda Spirit 750, Yamaha VStar 250, VStar 650, and SR500, the Suzuki TU250 and S40 (Savage 650) Though not a cruiser, I also liked the new Honda CB1100. The Honda GB500 and Kawasaki W650, Vulcan 500, Vulcan 800 and 800 Drifter were also very nice bikes. Definitely not a fan of the "new" Valkyrie, Vulcan S, Bolt, and Harley Street. I feel cruiser style bikes need to look the part, and there is nothing "modern" about that style. The whole cruiser look is based on vintage style. Therefore, cruisers never really go out of style. Just look at the new Polaris Indians. The Scout looks a little odd, but the big ones look almost like the real thing.

However, it could be that younger riders don't really care for vintage style, they want modern, and the riders who do appreciate vintage style bikes are getting older, and not buying enough of them to make them profitable. I heard the Yamaha SR400 failed because it lacked an electric starter. It's hard for me to imagine anyone not being able to kickstart a 400cc bike.
jim ray likes this.
JerryH is offline  
post #55 of 412 Old 11-25-2016, 10:13 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconda View Post
Some color would be nice. Maybe they are listening and will give us the options once the website allows us to customize it. As far as the high price of the 500, I would probably just add $1500 and get the shadow 750 and get what I feel is way more for the money.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I was lovin the phantoms for awhile but never got around to pulling the trigger. That being said, I don't really see what is "better" about the 750 shadows? For $1,500 more you get a shaft drive, yes, but I'm guessing the 500 twin would out perform it, even after it's been detuned a little for more torque. The shadows also have rear drum brake and the tank isn't that much bigger, I think 3.7 G vs 2.9. But the weight alone, 549 lb for the phantom vs 408 for the new rebel.
I can understand people not liking the use of the rebel moniker, but as far as the bike itself goes, I'm really liking the 500.
Faddy Daddy is offline  
post #56 of 412 Old 11-26-2016, 10:16 AM
 
Geodude1613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconda View Post
I feel pretty confident that these bikes will have low sale numbers and get the axe within 4 years. That said, honda might actually offer substantial options to make the bike what you want. That is after all their sales pitch. They may end up offering a passenger pillion and tons of cruiser options that we want...Like chrome! I do look at the bike with an open mind, but to my eyes, it screams CB and not CMX. Especially with that haggard ass tail lamp from 1970.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I read somewhere that a passenger pillion and pegs will be an available add-on...big deal.

Are parts getting difficult to find for the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD (last made in '09)? That may be my best option for a mid-sized cruiser with the true, classic cruiser look. Too bad Honda didn't put the "new" (i.e. CB) engine and other improvements into a style that looks like that...especially for the 500!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Geodude1613 is offline  
post #57 of 412 Old 11-26-2016, 10:40 AM
 
Sconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faddy Daddy View Post
I was lovin the phantoms for awhile but never got around to pulling the trigger. That being said, I don't really see what is "better" about the 750 shadows? For $1,500 more you get a shaft drive, yes, but I'm guessing the 500 twin would out perform it, even after it's been detuned a little for more torque. The shadows also have rear drum brake and the tank isn't that much bigger, I think 3.7 G vs 2.9. But the weight alone, 549 lb for the phantom vs 408 for the new rebel.
I can understand people not liking the use of the rebel moniker, but as far as the bike itself goes, I'm really liking the 500.
Isn't the phantom chain drive? I know that three of the four available shadows are shaft, but one of them is still chain drive.
And my statement about the shadow being better is more for esthetic reasons. V-twin, chrome, larger displacement. It's all pure opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Sconda is offline  
post #58 of 412 Old 11-26-2016, 11:30 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconda View Post
Isn't the phantom chain drive? I know that three of the four available shadows are shaft, but one of them is still chain drive.
And my statement about the shadow being better is more for esthetic reasons. V-twin, chrome, larger displacement. It's all pure opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I had to go look at Honda's web site to confirm and you are correct indeed, but it's the relatively newer RS that has the chain drive. The others, Phantom, Aero and Spirit all have the shaft drive. I used to have an old PC800 which had shaft drive, I rather liked it. But I keep reading that the 750 twins only put out 35 hp or so? (Maybe that's after the shaft drive?). That's where I'd think the 500 would be nicer, probably in the high 40's or so for HP which is just about right for me.
Ya, I know what you mean about aesthetics, a very personal thing and I can't really point out exactly why or what it is, but I do really like the looks of the new rebel. Hmmm, maybe it's the single seat, "Oh shoot, I'd love to take ya for a ride honey, but it only has one seat!"
Sconda and Calamity like this.
Faddy Daddy is offline  
post #59 of 412 Old 11-26-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Shadow Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las VLXas (Vegas, baby!) NV U.S.A.
Posts: 11,826
Garage
The Aero, Phantom, & Spirit are all the same bike, the 750 platform was given the VTX treatment as far as different pipes/wheels/fenders were concerned for new "models". The RS is the first actual new model in that line since the Aero debuted, sharing only the frame and top end from the rest (along with the innards of the bottom end, but they obviously had to cast a new case when switching from shaft to chain final drive).

As for power to the ground, the 750 Aero drops the same as a 600 chain driven Shadow at 30.something to the ground, I was at a local event at a dealer and they dyno'd every model they had in stock...many folks were dismayed at how a larger displacement bike that cost a grand more performed the same as the smaller one.

One of Honda's dirty little secrets they didn't want you knowing about when they canned the 600 in favor of the more pricy pig.

"Ride Safe, Chop Safer" Motorcycles are not unsafe. However; they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.
Dismantling, sawzalling, and rattle canning does not make a bobber.
Those are STEPS toward customizing, not customizing unto itself.
Shadow Shack is offline  
post #60 of 412 Old 11-26-2016, 12:19 PM
 
Sconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
The Aero, Phantom, & Spirit are all the same bike, the 750 platform was given the VTX treatment as far as different pipes/wheels/fenders were concerned for new "models". The RS is the first actual new model in that line since the Aero debuted, sharing only the frame and top end from the rest (along with the innards of the bottom end, but they obviously had to cast a new case when switching from shaft to chain final drive).

As for power to the ground, the 750 Aero drops the same as a 600 chain driven Shadow at 30.something to the ground, I was at a local event at a dealer and they dyno'd every model they had in stock...many folks were dismayed at how a larger displacement bike that cost a grand more performed the same as the smaller one.

One of Honda's dirty little secrets they didn't want you knowing about when they canned the 600 in favor of the more pricy pig.
It is true that the 750 is a slug. My 450 has zero issues rolling with the 750. Much to the hidden dismay of my bestie who has promptly put his on Craigslist after I showed him what he didn't want to see.😉

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Sconda is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome