'07 Rebel repairs - Honda Rebel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bikerlbf406
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-02-2015, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
 
bikerlbf406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Granite City, IL
Posts: 17
'07 Rebel repairs

Took my recently purchased Rebel today to the local independent owned shop to see about having my brakes looked at, just to find out it urgently needed new front & rear sprockets & new chain. So now it's going to cost me $300 for those repairs in addition to replacing front brakes paid & cleaning/adjusting the rear brake.
bikerlbf406 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 09-02-2015, 05:23 AM
 
StarBaseONE2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Prospect Tn.
Posts: 61
Garage
I am mechanically inept (well almost), still I was able to replace my own chain and sprockets for MUCH less than a shop would have to charge. I did some reading here on this forum and I watched a few YouTube videos of the process on similar machines first. I ordered my parts from a powersports shop with an E-bay store.

I will soon have to to tackle front pad replacement on my '86 as well. But I hope to make to cold weather first lol.

There will be some problems I will fear to tackle, and it will have me putting mine in the shop too (carb disassembly or clutch replacement maybe) but I wager you can change them and save some cash. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

I'm just knockin' around on me 1986 CMX250C Honda Rebel
StarBaseONE2 is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Moderator
 
01-7700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,458
Garage
came here to say something like this - a high $ estimate is usually the motivation i need to tackle something myself

you can do this job yourself for less than $100 and the skills you develop are priceless

1985 CMX250 ... 1986 CMX450 ... 2005 Ruckus 50
Keith from Maine USA - Banning Spammers since 2016
01-7700 is online now  
 
post #4 of 6 Old 09-02-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
 
bikerlbf406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Granite City, IL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBaseONE2 View Post
I am mechanically inept (well almost), still I was able to replace my own chain and sprockets for MUCH less than a shop would have to charge. I did some reading here on this forum and I watched a few YouTube videos of the process on similar machines first. I ordered my parts from a powersports shop with an E-bay store.

I will soon have to to tackle front pad replacement on my '86 as well. But I hope to make to cold weather first lol.

There will be some problems I will fear to tackle, and it will have me putting mine in the shop too (carb disassembly or clutch replacement maybe) but I wager you can change them and save some cash. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
came here to say something like this - a high $ estimate is usually the motivation i need to tackle something myself

you can do this job yourself for less than $100 and the skills you develop are priceless
As much as I would love to save money and do the job myself, I'm not very mechanically inclined, and being disabled with an extremely bad back, I'm lucky just to ride, bit more do much mechanical work. So to me on something like this, I'd much rather spend the money and know the job is done right.
StarBaseONE2 likes this.

Tim - Proud owner 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel & 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
bikerlbf406 is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 09-02-2015, 01:51 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southern Alabama
Posts: 2,266
A new chain will stretch some when new, keep an eye on chain adjustment for the first 500 to 1,000 miles after that the chain will stretch very little.

1986 Honda Rebel 450 28,000 miles
1987 Honda Rebel 450 5,000 miles (sold)
2009 Honda Rebel 250 8,000 miles
1983 Honda CX 650 twisted twin 6,000 miles
Old School is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 09-02-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
 
bikerlbf406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Granite City, IL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
A new chain will stretch some when new, keep an eye on chain adjustment for the first 500 to 1,000 miles after that the chain will stretch very little.
Thanks for the info.

Tim - Proud owner 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel & 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
bikerlbf406 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome